FAQs: Work Injury Claims in Texas

Q: What are some typical areas that people are injured in industrial accidents?

A: There are many, but just some of the major areas of industrial accidents are: toxic chemical exposure (such as asbestos or petroleum); malfunctioning equipment, such as valves, conveyor belts, saws, sanders, lathe machines, boilers, forklifts, bulldozers, and many others. Industrial jobs would include; oil refineries, construction sites, manufacturing plants, and railroads.

Q: What are common injuries that occur on manufacturing sites?

A: The list of possible injuries in industrial accidents is probably endless. To name some of the more serious injuries we can include: serious cuts, burns, eye injuries, falls, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and many others.

Q: I was injured by my equipment at work because it wasn't properly maintained. Who is responsible for my injuries and losses?

A: The responsibility for your injuries depends on the circumstances of your case and the accident that occurred. Your company's worker's compensation should cover any medical expenses for your injuries and because of that your employer is not liable for other financial losses you may have. If the equipment is maintained by the manufacturer or another third party, then you may have a case against that company to recover other financial losses as well as pain and suffering. It is best to contact an attorney to discuss the details of the accident, your injuries, and any other related information you may have.

Q: There was a serious accident at work that was caused by defective pressure valves and I am unable to work because of my injuries. Who should I sue for damages?

A: Worker's compensation should cover your medical expenses because this happened while on the job. If your injuries are extensive and there is documented investigation or some other proof that shows the valves were in fact defective and caused the accident, then you may have a case to pursue. The defective pressure valves would fall under products liability law and you could sue the manufacturer or designer depending on the issue for pain and suffering and any other financial loss for missing work or inability to work at the level you were at before the accident.

Q: The refinery where I'm a supervisor has not corrected the safety violations that OSHA has fined them for the past three years. I'm afraid there will be a serious accident; can I report them without losing my job?

A: OSHA has guidelines to protect "whistleblowers" from any negative backlash from your company if you report safety hazards or if your company has falsified accident reporting to OSHA. It may help to think about you being one of the potentially injured or killed workers because of these safety violations, if you are not sure about your course of action. In the event you were fired or had disciplinary action taken against you, you could also seek an employment attorney to recover any financial loss you experience.

Industrial Injury Main Information Page

Personal Injury Main Resource Information Page